Saturday, May 19, 2012

1st Annual Pasadena Birding adventure

Today I took a group out to El Franco to see what we could find. I decided to get there earlier to see what I could flush up. I definitely got looks of very cool birds. Before everyone showed up I did see the mating pair of pileated woodpeckers  and a scissor tailed flycatcher so my hopes were high for the group.
Scissor tailed flycatcher, photo by Shaun Owen
When everyone showed up we took to the gazebo and noticed a red shouldered hawk and some other common birds. I was able to "phish" out a few tufted titmouse along the ditch. Then we walked down the path a ways. Grace noticed something but because of the size I immediately disregarded it. Thinking it was dove or a mockingbird. She corrected me and sure enough it was a Yellow billed cuckoo. Now that is a find out at El Franco. We are able to get a very good look at it. The cool thing about these is that they are very secretive. Most people hardly get a look at one and we were able to see two! That is another addition to the list.

Some other birds seen included yellow crowned night herons, carolina wrens, carolina chickadees, tufted titmouse, red bellied woodpecker, eastern wood pewee, red shouldered hawk, ring necked duck, wood ducks, little blue herons, great egret, white ibis, and northern cardinals.

It was a successful day with a great addition to the list. Until next time, happy birding!

Current Moderate Year Count - 171 Species
Recently added - Yellow billed cuckoo

No comments:

Post a Comment