Saturday, April 7, 2012

Galveston, Oh how wonderful!

Traveled down the road a ways to enjoy some migratory land birds. It was a BONANZA! We arrived there pretty early to get a good spot. Some birders were already there. After setting up and waiting a bit I heard tons of birds but they were everywhere except in my camera viewfinder. So I decided to leave Meghan to watch over the camera as I enjoyed some other birds. I walked around a corner and there was a Baltimore Oriole... No I didn't get a picture but still, one new bird.

After a while I decided to be patient. Patience is a virtue... Other people were admiring some other birds and this guy stopped right down in front of me. He's a beaute.
Kentucky Warbler, Photo by Shaun Owen
I have some more photos of this guy on my Google+ page.

And then it just started raining birds. One after the other had to come for a drink. Everything from a white eyed vireo to these...
Ovenbird, Photo by Shaun Owen
Black and White Warbler, Photo by Shaun Owen
Then after a while I finally had to see something else. We drove down the road to Dos Vacas Bird Sanctuary and that was awesome. I was able to see a Worm Eating Warbler, Female Ruby Throated hummer, and tons more. Here are a few of the pictures I was able to pick up.
Green Tailed Towhee, Photo by Shaun Owen
Scissor-tailed Flycatcher, Photo by Shaun Owen
White Tailed Kite, Photo by Shaun Owen
White Tailed Kite, Photo by Shaun Owen
All in all it was a wonderful day! I have to check on some species of birds but by this I have added 11 new species of birds. Until next time happy birding.

Current Moderate Year Count - 141 Species
Recently added species - Kentucky Warbler, Black and White Warbler, White Eyed Vireo, Ovenbird, Baltimore Oriole, Northern Parula, White Tailed Kite, Ruby throated hummingbird, Green Tailed Towhee, Worm Eating Warbler, Wood Peewee

No comments:

Post a Comment