Sunday, April 29, 2012

In search for a painted bunting...

So after waiting for the wind to die down and migration to pick back up I decided to take Meghan for a trip to Brazos Bend. They are known to have painted buntings and she desperately wanted to see one.

The day started out rough... I forgot my SD card so I had to drive an extra 30 minutes to buy one. (now I have an extra) Well after that the day started rolling in... Oh and I guess it was fate that I had to buy one because I saw a Mississippi Kite on my way. (Plus one)

When we got to the 40 mile lake there were many White Eyed Vireos just chirping away. "Quick, get the beer check." One of my favorites.
White Eyed Vireo, Photo by Shaun Owen
You can definitely see why they are called "white eyed".

Once we started walking around there were tons of little blues and yellow crowns. The one addition that I was able to add to the list was a Purple Gallinule.
Purple Gallinule, Photo by Shaun Owen
Then after continuing around past the observation tower I decided to walk around towards the car. I was able pick out what I was looking for. I had heard that prothonotary warblers nest along the levee and sure enough. Found this guy singing, "sweet, sweet, sweet, sweet."
Prothonotary Warbler, Photo by Shaun Owen
He looks much like a blue winged warbler but without the eye line and slightly larger.

We walked around a bit and then... In some of the open wooded habitat (older growth) we found what Meghan was looking for.
Painted Bunting, Photo by Shaun Owen
He was awesome and Meghan was very excited. They are quite the bird. Many people think that this bird was let loose or they say "Oh that's someone's pet that got away." But no, this is native to Texas. They are very striking.
Painted Bunting, Photo by Shaun Owen
Overall they day was very successful. If anyone wants to go on a birding trip I am more than willing to take a trip. I have had a few people interested in going out birding with me so just let me know. Until next time happy birding!

Current Moderate Year Count - 166 Species
Recently Added Species - Painted Bunting, Purple Gallinule, Prothonotary Warbler

No comments:

Post a Comment