Thursday, February 23, 2012

100!!! and lots of snakes...

So I had a few hours to take up out at El Franco Lee and was able to add number 100 to the list. It was quiet day that I wish was a little more exciting. So when I first walked out there I almost stepped on this guy...
Broad banded water snake
Initially I thought it was a water mocassin. It does a very effective job of mimicing it. After getting some help from a fellow birder he informed me that it definitely was a water snake. The poor guy was missing an eye.
Missing eye
Here is a good picture of it slithering into the water.
So after sitting there and talking the usual bird talk. What have you seen around? Where did you see it? etc. I did get a good look at a purple martin. And yes folks that is number 100. Martins are migrants and they are on their way back up to the midwest and northeast. I did not get a picture of it since it was high and away from me.

I am a little saddened that the one hundredth isn't more exciting. It is almost anticlimatic... But yay 100!

My birding friend and myself walked around the the lake and didn't see anything too cool except for this little guy.

It is a baby banded water snake. Very colorful!

I might have some really good pictures this weekend. Going birding on Sunday along with all of the other things that I have to do. And until next time happy birding!

Current Moderate Year Count - 100
Recently added - Purple Martin

No comments:

Post a Comment