Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Bald Eagles

So after Meghan got off work today we decided to go on a field trip. Dan (fellow birder) informed me of where the Eagles nest was and I had to get a better look than what I did at El Franco Lee Park. A better look is exactly what I got.

So it was around 5:30 when we finally broke through the molasses called Houston traffic. We arrived in Pearland and had to walk through puddle after puddle. Along the way we saw these guys. Meghan "tried" to work on her bird calls. "Killdeeer, Killdeeer".
Killdeer
While we were walking along I didn't want to disturb them so I walked about 15 feet and looked through the binoculars and repeated, walked 15 feet and repeated. Finally one saw me before I saw him/her. It flew up and made a pass then returned to their perch. I was able to get a few pictures of the national bird.
Bald Eagle
Bald Eagles were removed from the List of Endangered and Threatened Wildlife in the Lower 48 States on June 28, 2007. They were highly effected by the pesticide, DDT. DDT reduces the metabolism of calcium. Therefore it messed with the reproduction of the eagles.

In that moment, just as it started to soar, I couldn't help but think about how everything is connected . We have a larger impact on the planet than most people realize. Everything is connected. It brings me to ask the question, "If a butterfly flaps its wings in South America does it cause a tornado on the plains of North America?"
Bald Eagle
Until next time Happy Birding and watch where you step because that might be someone else's home!

Current Moderate Year Bird Count - 94 Species

No comments:

Post a Comment