Tuesday, February 14, 2012

The BIG 94!

Suprisingly enough I found time to go out today. I figured I could stop by El Franco Lee Park. Since birding hasn't been to exciting lately I figured I would work on some photos and try to get a good picture of the Vermillion Flycatcher.

Vermillion Flycatcher
 After walking the trail I ran into a few fellow birders. *Side Note- Birders have to be the nicest people in the world. I was referred to many sites and ideas to increase my bird count. (Thanks Judy and Ron)* I also found the usual birds. I walked about fifteen feet and that "je-ditt" sound kept following me. A ruby crowned kinglet just wanted some attention.

Ruby Crowned Kinglet
 Well not much happened until I got back to the gazebo. I sat there for a while and talked to Judy about http://lists.texbirds.org/texbirds.html (which a Snowy Owl has been spotted near Dallas). After Judy left I turned around. I noticed a bird soaring above. I thought to myself, "Wow, that's a large hawk. Wait! That's not a hawk." I quickly grabbed the camera took a few quick shots. It was a Bald Eagle. Hello, 94!

Bald Eagle
 I think tomorrow Meghan and I might take a quick trip out to Pearland to see the nest. Maybe I can get some better pictures. Happy Birding!

Moderate Year Bird Count - 94 Species
Newly added - Bald Eagle

No comments:

Post a Comment