Friday, March 16, 2012

Alvin was a bust

I woke up very earyl this moring to get my bird on. I went down to a greenway in Alvin, TX. First of all Alvin is dirty... This stream running through the middle of town was disgusting. I wish people would take better care of their surroundings. The only thing I got out of the trip was a good look at a red shouldered hawk.
Red Shouldered Hawk
I think I actually interrupted their breakfast... My bad hawk... So after a depressing birding trip I traveled up to my usual spot trying to get a look at the Merlin that I always miss. And yippee I got it.
Merlin
Merlin is a small raptor much like the kestrel but is much darker. I was also able to see a royal tern from a distance. So that was two additions to my bird list just from my usual spot. Very cool.

Before I left I got a great picture of a Caracara bringing dinner home. If you look closely you can definitely see it.

Crested Caracara
The folks at the park were also putting up this sign. I guess I should be more careful.
Until next time, be careful and happy birding.

Current Moderate Year Count - 119 Species
Recently Added - Royal Tern, Merlin

No comments:

Post a Comment