Thursday, March 15, 2012

Double the trouble...

I am going to catch up and write two blogs in one... I have gotten behind and with my plan to take a long birding trip this weekend I hope to have alot more to write about...

Well first I ended my trip to San Antonio with a visit with a friend. She has a wonderful set up behind her house with some wonderful birds. She also has some wonderful stories, including a scary northern harrier.

Before I get to the cool picture I picked up at her house I was able to get some birding in down at Hardberger park. This place is pretty cool but the place where I was able to find more birds was at the Salado Creek greenway. I was able to get a golden crowned kinglet. He was cruising around with some tufteds and I definitely saw the golden crown on top of his head. I couldn't get a good picture of him but I did get a great picture of a carolina wren.

Carolina Wren
On the way there and the way back there was a Lesser Goldfinch hanging out in the trees. Not a great picture but one more addition to the list.

Lesser Goldfinch
One thing I did notice is that they are going into breeding plummage much earlier than their counterparts the american goldfinch. This brings me to my picture I was able to get out at the family friend's house. Here is an american goldfinch that was just hanging out right outside her window. It was lovely but as you can see he is just starting to turn golden.

American Goldfinch
And off I went... Traveled back to Houston. Hoping to have an even better Spring Break down here (with the birds of course).

Here are a few pictures that I was able to get on the way home. Just of the countryside.
Until next time... Happy Birding! Which should be in about 30 minutes
Current Moderate Year Count - 114
Recently added species - Spotted Towhee, Lesser Goldfinch, Golden Crowned Kinglet

No comments:

Post a Comment