Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Last Weekend trip

Last weekend I took my students down to Galveston to help with a dune restoration project. This project was to help repair the damage done by Rita and Katrina hurricanes. When they hit the Texas coast they tore up much of the grasses that helped protect the dunes. The grasses help keep the dunes in place. This in turn gives sea turtles a place to nest. So my students, Meghan, and myself helped plant local dune grasses.
Did I mention it was cold?
I did get some good pictures of some herring gulls and laughing gulls. They allowed us to walk right up to them.
Herring Gull
Laughing Gull
I did get to add two birds to the list but I did not get any good pictures of them. The first was barn swallows. They are starting to migrate and since the weather was very windy they had a hard time flying around. The random addition was when we stopped by Petsmart and randomly in the parking lot was an Eurasion Collared dove.

This next week is Spring Break for me so hopefully I will be able to add a few central Texas birds from my trip to San Antonio. And until next time happy birding.

Current Moderate Year Count - 105
Recently added species - Barn Swallow, Eurasian Collared Dove

No comments:

Post a Comment